|Security Bulletin #: SB 2018-Tridium-2
CVSS v3.0 Base Score: 5.7 (AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:R/S:U/C:H/I:N/A:N)
Defect #: NCCB-36761
A cross-site scripting vulnerability was discovered in the Niagara web interface which could allow an authenticated user to inject client-side scripts into
some web pages that could then be viewed by other users.
No known exploitation of the vulnerability have been
We have made modifications to the application to remove the vulnerability and recommend that users update to the version identified below.
Tridium has released new patches that mitigate this vulnerability.
Tridium strongly recommends that users apply these patches to their corresponding Niagara installations to mitigate this risk.
These patches are available by contacting your sales support channel or by contacting the Tridium support team at [email protected].
It is important that all Niagara customers for all supported platforms update their systems with these releases to mitigate risk.
If you have any questions, please contact your Tridium account manager or contact Customer Support via [email protected].
In addition to updating your system, Tridium recommends that customers with affected products should take the following steps to protect themselves:
- Review and validate the list of users who are authorized and who can authenticate to Niagara.
- Allow only trained and trusted persons to have physical access to the system, including devices that have connection to the system though the Ethernet port.
- If remote connections to the network are required, consider using a VPN or other means to ensure secure remote connections into the network where the system is located.
Tridium would like to
acknowledge Daniel Santos and Elisa Costante of SecurityMatters for reporting this vulnerability to us.
Appendix: About CVSS
The Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an open standard for communicating the characteristics and severity of software vulnerabilities.
The Base score represents the intrinsic qualities of a vulnerability. The Temporal score reflects the characteristics of a vulnerability that change over time. The Environmental score is an additional score that can be used by CVSS, but is not supplied as it will differ for each customer.
The Base score has a value ranging from 0 to 10. The Temporal score has the same range and is a modification of the Base score due to current temporary factors.
The severity of the score can be summarized as follows:
||0.1 - 3.9
||4.0 - 6.9
||9.0 - 10.0
A CVSS score is also represented as a vector string, a compressed textual representation of the values used to derive the score.
Detailed information about CVSS can be found at http://www.first.org/cvss.
- CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
- YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION IN THIS DOCUMENT OR MATERIALS LINKED FROM THIS DOCUMENT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- TRIDIUM RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR UPDATE THIS DOCUMENT AT ANY TIME AND WITHOUT NOTICE.
- TRIDIUM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES 'AS IS' WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. TRIDIUM DISCLAIMS THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PURPOSE AND MAKES NO EXPRESS WARRANTIES EXCEPT AS MAY BE STATED IN A WRITTEN AGREEMENT WITH AND FOR ITS CUSTOMERS
- IN NO EVENT WILL TRIDIUM BE LIABLE TO ANYONE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT.
SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.